What is E10 Fuel and can my vehicle run on it?

The new standard of petrol grade from September is changing to E10. E10 fuel contains up to 10% renewable ethanol.

In September 2021, the new standard of petrol grade in the UK will be changing from E5 to E10.

Around 95% of petrol-powered vehicles on the road are compatible with E10 petrol and this figure is increasing all the time. However some may not be compatible with E10 petrol.

E10 fuel is the new petrol standard

E10 petrol contains up to 10% renewable ethanol, which will help to reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions associated with petrol vehicles and tackle climate change. Petrol in the UK currently contains up to 5% renewable ethanol (known as E5).

E10 petrol is already widely used around the world, including across Europe, the US and Australia. It has also been the reference fuel against which new cars are tested for emissions and performance since 2016.

Is my vehicle compatible?

It is recommended that you read your owner’s manual for “Recommended Fuel” before filling up.

New vehicles manufactured from 2019 onwards should have an ‘E10’ and ‘E5’ label/sticker on the fuel flap or near the fuel car showing the fuel(s) they can use.

All new cars manufactured since 2011 are compatible with E10 petrol, and most cars and motorcycles manufactured since the late 1990s are also approved by manufacturers to use E10.

The following vehicles, however, may not be compatible with E10 petrol:

  • classic, cherished and older vehicles
  • some specific models, particularly those from the early 2000s
  • some mopeds, particularly those with an engine size of 50cc or under

You can check whether your vehicle is approved to use E10 petrol using the Government’s E10 vehicle checker (https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol), which covers cars, motorcycles and mopeds.

If you are unsure if your car can take E10, then please contact our service department.

Driving in clean air and ultra-low emission zones

Using E10 fuel will not affect whether you are able to drive in or have to pay to enter, a clean air zone (CAZ), low emission zone (LEZ) or ultra-low emission zone (ULEZ). This is detemined by your vehicle’s Euro emissions standard and not by fuel used.